Heal Yourself from Drug and Alcohol Addiction
Christmas and holiday time has recently passed and it is a time of consumption when people sometimes consume too much alcohol or too many illicit substances or too much food. It is a time of excess. If you suffer from alcohol or drug or other addiction problems, you may be reeling a little after the Christmas break, and you may want to know what you can do to address the matter holistically and realistically.
What is Addiction?
Your body can become addicted to drugs and alcohol. The addiction may have a mental, spiritual, emotional and physiological component. Your body becomes so acclimatised to the addicted substance that it cannot function adequately or successfully if the substance is withdrawn. in extreme cases involving alcohol and hard drugs, the withdrawal process can be so severe to require detoxification in a detoxification centre or monitored hospital setting with nurses and medical staff on call at all times.
Nutrients that can help you to Heal
If you suffer from addiction there are many things you can do to improve your situation and beat your habit. You may be addicted to sugar, caffeine, nicotine or harder substances. You may need to develop a nutritional programme involving natural products and remedies. You may even want to incorporate such modalities as acupuncture, TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine,) Ayurvedic Medicine or Homeopathics.
Whatever the case, here are some strategies that can benefit you on your road to recovery:
- Eat a well balanced diet that is high in raw food content, roughage and vitamins and minerals
- Stay away from sugar as the extreme highs and the consequent crashing lows can lead to the listlessness that can lead back to the drug or substance of choice
- Omega 3, 6 and 9 supplements. These help restore health after associated addiction malnutrition
- Vitamin B complex. Helps to rejuvenate your liver which may have been stressed by processing the addictive substances on a regular basis. In extreme cases be sure to receive some Vitamin B shots from your GP
- Glutathione. May help to reduce cravings and can also help with the detoxification process
- Vitamin C. Take daily doses of slow release Vitamin C and also a quick release form that can help to boost the damaged immune system.
You may also want to consult your naturopath or nutritionist who can help you to develop a comprehensive detoxification programme that will address the withdrawal and the recovery phases of the healing process.
Remember, you are worth it and deserve recovery.